- 30 Sept./1 Oct. 1991 [+] Interview in Ankara, relayed by telephone. With Qabanbay, Muqtarqan.
Aqiqat was former Communist Party Journal, changed name recently; Ismailov describes types of articles and progressive nature of magazine; importance and significance of present delegation; defends "pan-Turkism" and stresses importance of unity; future of unity; future of Turkic peoples; means for strengthening Kazakhstan.
- 30 Sept./ 1 Oct. 1991 [+] Continuation of above interview with Qabanbay, Muqtarqan. (161 cont'd)
Qalijanov discusses history; defends rich cultural history of Kazkhs; need for Turkic unity; calls for all to send articles and letters to paper.
- 1/2 Oct. 1991 [+] News from Kazakhstan
- Listen now
- 1/2 Oct. 1991 [+] Recording of Nazarbaev's address to Instanbul kazkah community relayed by telephone from Istanbul. Poor sound quality. With Kokbulaq, Talghat.
Nazarbaev talks about the involvement of �migr� Kazakhs in development of larger Kazakh community and Kazakhstan's development; current problems faced by Kazakhstan and relation to economy; agreements signed with Turkish government, results of talks ; religion; invites economic investment, need for support from �migr�s.
- 2/3 October 1991 [+] Interview conducted in Ankara, relayed by telephone. Cut off at end. With Qabanbay, Muqtarqan.
Naymanbaev discusses plans for meeting to form union for cooperation among Kazakh writers worldwide; future plans of Kazakh Writer's Union; means of preseving Kazakh culture: need for money, support, ability to get government to act.
- 3/4 Oct. 1991 [+] News from Kazakhstan (16:00), followed by interview conducted in Ankara relayed by telephone. With Qabanbay, Muqtarqan.
Orazaliev speaks of the significance of Nazarbaev's visit; describes own publishing house; future plans for books about Kazakhs to be printed jointly with Turkish publishers.
- 4/5 Oct. 1991 [+] Interview conducted in Ankara relayed by telephone with Qabanbay, Muqtarqan.
Aqaev gives his thoughts on present delegation to Turkey; talks about leaders and unity; wishes for success to Turkey; describes paper's purpose and character.
- 4/5 Oct. 1991 [+] Report from Bayqongir Space Center prior to space launch including first Kazakh cosmonaut including recording of Abubakirov's speech given at press conference; very short. Relayed by phone from Almati. With Abubakirov, Toqtar, first Kazakh cosmonaut.
Abubakirov talks of significance of his flight for the Kazakh nation.
- 5/6 Oct. 1991 [+] Continuation of above interview with Qabanbay, Muqtarqan(169).
Celebration of holidays for native Kazakh historical figures; signs of new independence; economy; economic relations with Turkey: brotherhood, sharing knowledge / expertise, items of trade, basis of trade.
- 6/7 Oct. 1991 [+] News from Kazakhstan reported by telephone from Almati. Includes interviews. With Sabdalin, Qiyal.
Ghalim comments on significane of first Kazakh in space and observations he will be making to benefit Kazakhstan. Others discuss 1st Independence Day; national flag, seal, etc.; letter to Nazarbaev; description of present situation in Oral by native; people's political priorities and criticism of division among democratic movements.
- 7/8 Oct. 1991 [+] Continuation of the above broadcast. (171) With Sabdalin, Qiyal.
Interviewees talk about the non-ethnic nature of People's Congress party; number of unofficial, reactionary forces; importance of supporting non-Kazakhs; national army; repatriation of "�migr�" Kazakhs living abroad.
- 7/8 Oct. 1991 [+] Continuation of above interview with Qabanbay, Muqtarqan. (171a cont'd)
Preservation versus loss of culture; new cultural revival in Mongolia: new newspapers, language policy.
- 10/8/1991 [+] Interviews conducted in Almati, relayed by telephone. Sound quality sometimes bad; interviews appear to be conducted by telephone in Almati. With Sabdalin, Qiyal.
Staff from various papers which have changed their names recently are interviewed: Aqiqat, Jas Alash, Ekspres Kazakhstana; interviews discuss history of papers, changes in outlook, reasons for changing names; danger in serving only one organization; differences between various papers.
- 10/8/1991 [+] Interview conducted in Almati relayed by telephone. With Sabdalin, Qiyal.
Interviewee describes own history; Azat Popular Front's activities and concerns; Russian control of economy; means for improving economic situation; foreign affairs and commerce; relationship between parties and government; need for immigration laws; importance of re-writing and researching national history. "East Turkistan" political situation; own work in ethnography and revival of Kazakh language.
- 10/8/1991 [+] Interview conducted in Almati, relayed by telephone. With Kenebaev, Jumash.
Esim discusses the dissolution of the Communist Party and its repercussions; establishment of other parties; duty to revive Kazakh culture; need to work for all ethnic groups in Kazakhstan, not just Kazakhs to achieve real results.
- 8/9 Oct. 1991 [+] News from Kazakhstan includes interview; relayed by telephone from Almati. With Darimbetov, Batirqan.
Aqataev characterizes and criticizes the newly-formed People's Congress Party; reasons for founding Azat Party from Azat Popular Front; confusion among voters about which party to join.
- 10/10/1991 [+] Interviews conducted in RL Studios, Munich. With Oraltay, Qasen.
Sabdalin describes the conference he is attending in Germany on human rights; discusses who attended, topic of speeches; progress in Kazakhstan; continuation of injustice, political oppresion, censorship, righting former wrongdoings; historical factors affecting people's political thinking; nationalism and prejudice; privatization.
- 10/11/1991 [+] "Roundtable Discussion" conducted in Almati relayed by telephone.
Interviewees give monologues on present political enviroment; Azat Party's choice of name; danger of internal strife; difference between Azat Party and Azat Popular Front; criticism of People's Congress Party and differences in platform.
- 10/11/1991 [+] Continuation of above discussion (179-a). With Sabdalin, Qiyal.
Differences between various parties; number of members of Azat Party and growth; superficiality of dissolution of Communist Party.
- 10/15/1991 [+] News from Kazakhstan.
- Listen now
- 10/16/1991 [+] News from Kazakhstan.
- Listen now
- 10/17/1991 [+] News from Kazakhstan.
- Listen now
- 10/19/1991 [+] Interviews conducted in Almati relayed by telephone. With Sabdalin, Qiyal.
Journalists discuss purpose of congress; problems faced by journalists; funding for newly privatized newspapers; need for resolutions concerning coverage of foreign news and relations with Moscow Journalists Union; benefits of forming a Union.
- 10/19/1991 [+] Part 2 of above interview (188). With Qabanbay, Muqtarqan.
Use of Kazakh language in official business; respect for Kazakh language; Kazakh language instruction; Kazakh schools and problem of funding to support education in Kazakh.
- 10/20/1991 [+] News from Kazakhstan including interview conducted in Almati, relayed by phone. With Sabdali, Qiyal.
Koshemov discusses issues of present Communist Party conference, plans for future, changing name of party, nationalities in question, citizenship and civil rights; party's focus on economic problems.
- 10/21/1991 [+] Interview conducted in Almati, relayed by phone. With Sabdali, Qiyal.
Interviewees discuss significance of recent broadcasts on Choqay on Kazakh radio, including tapes recovered from Europe; historical significance of broadcasts; people responsible for bringing about broadcasts; RL's role; Serik talks about self, family history, Choqay's political ideals, government repression after return to Kazakhstan.
- 10/21/1991 [+] Part IV of above interviews. With Qabanbay, Muqtarqan.
Qaydarov further discusses writing system among Kazakhs; common alphabet for all Kazakhs; deliberations/ changes of alphabet; benefits of Latin script; pros and cons of Arabic script; importance of common Turkic alphabet; over exaggerated danger of Turkic unity.
- 10/21/1991 [+] Continuation of part II of above interview. With Sabdali, Qiyal.
Discussion of importance of broadcasts of Choqay and other historical figures for dissemination of knowledge of heretofore repressed Kazakh history.
- 10/22/1991 [+] News from Kazakhstan.
- Listen now
- 10/23/1991 [+] News from Kazakhstan
- Listen now
- 10/24/1991 [+] News from Kazakhstan
- Listen now
- 10/25/1991 [+] Interview conducted in Almati, relayed by telephone. With Sadbali, Qiyal.
Qojakhmetov gives goals of Jeltoqsan Party; lists demands made to Nazarbaev; issue of allowing non-Kazakhs to seek candidacy in elections; petitions for candidacy and obstacles; political platform and Jeltoqsan's side on issues.
- 10/26/1991 [+] Interview conducted in Almati, relayed by telephone. With Sabdali, Qiyal.
Masqan describes his organization, a welfare organization for Kazakh orphans; waiting for government funding to be delivered; plans for and demands made to help orphans; unreliability of sources of support; plans for future; need for foreign aid; names of those who have made contributions.
- 10/27/1991 [+] Interview conducted in Bamberg, Germany. Questions translated from Uighur to Kazakh. With Alptekin, Erkin.
Musaev discusses talk he gave at conference recently attended in Bamberg: decline of Kazakh population and reasons for it: settlement of other nationalities in Kazakhstan, demographic imbalance in Kazakhstan, taking of pasture land, using land for testing grounds; cultural decay; problem of low status of kazakh language; developing education in Kazakh at institutions; language situation for Kazakh populations outside of Kazakhstan; resettlement of Kazakhs from Mongolia.
- 10/28/1991 [+] Roundtable interview conducted in RL studios, Munich. Sarsenov's Kazakh is mediocre (much Russian, English influence).
Sarsenov describes recently attended United Nations/ World Health Organization conference on primary health care; describes own center in Almati; projects being carried out concerning primary health care; Aral Sea disaster; improvement of health care in Soviet Republics for mothers and children; comparison of health care between the Ukraine and Kazakhstan; language of instruction in medical schools; problem of lack of doctors and medical specialists.