- 4/5/1991 [+] Interviews conducted in Almati. Sabdalin, Qiyal.
Esimbaeva, a Communist Party member, talks about personal history, make-up of Education Committee; responds to questions about rampant inflation and supply in stores. Toqashbaev talks about specific prices, how these affect Kazakhs as a people; discusses relationship with the Soviet system. Amanbaeva talks about same questions; difficulty of making a living, providing for a family.
- 4/5/1991 [+] Interviews conducted in Almati. With Sabdalin, Qiyal. Esimbaeva, Gulmira & Toqashbaev, Marat.
Esimbaeva talks about Party membership, opinions about other parties; says celebration of Lenin's birthday is harmless. Toqashbaev gives opinions on same holiday.
- 4/12/1991 [+] interview conducted in Almati. With Sabdalin Qiyal.
Adil uli talks about his organization; recent activities and plans; gives detailed description of test sites and military target ranges in the territory of Kazakhstan; warns that Kazkhs, not Moscow, will take the brunt of any nuclear attack.
- 4/13/1991 [+] interview conducted in Almati. With Sabdalin, Qiyal.
Koshimov elaborates on differences between his party and others; non-ethnic nature of party; human rights and need of government to protect this; party paper in Kazakh and Russian; criticizes lack of change in present government.
- 4/14/1991 [+] News report by telephone from Almati. With Sabdalin, Qiyal.
Sabdalin reports on a recent explosion at a military base in Sariozek; delay in reporting; different versions; damage; causes; cover-up.
- 4/16/1991 [+] News report by telephone from Almati. Sabdalin, Qiyal.
Sabdalin reports on article in Socialist Kazakhstan on meetings Nazarbaev had with reporters; economics and social future; unreadiness; Chevron; territorial integrity and citizenship; tribalism and politics; Islam Shapghati newspaper; founding of Association of Commercial Television & violent and pornographic films; reaction to Nazarbaev speaking in Russian during Ozal's visit; Aq Niyet social aid organization; Communist Party's demands that political school be re-opened; personal ads and benefit to Kazakh racial integrity.
- 4/17/1991 [+] Interview conducted in Almati on the street. With Sabdalin, Qiyal.
Ratbek expresses satisfaction with large turnout at Friday prayers, gives opinion on declaring first day of Ramadan a national holiday.Young man describes his work for papers Shapaghat and Azat. A woman talks about conditions in the mosques versus the old days; approval of religious revival; criticism of official lack of support for religious holiday; censorship in press.
- 4/18/1991 [+] Interview takes place in Washington, D.C. With Habib, Ra'na.
Estekov speaks out about 1st and 2nd Congresses of the Soviet Nationalities of the East, calls for unity of Eastern peoples; difference between government leaders and people; reform and end of communist regime; futility of fighting with governments and loss of national strength; Russians should be excluded from the political process.
- 4/19/1991 [+] Interview takes place in Almati; relayed by telephone. With Sabdalin, Qiyal.
Qojakhmedov talks of present situation and successes of party; some members still in jail; government not yet meeting certain demands; seldom covered by the media; basic purpose of party to return historical rights of Kazakhs; hopes for independence, calls for struggle for same.
- 4/23/1991 [+] Poll of passerby at demonstrationin Almati; relayed by telephone. With Sabdalin, Qiyal.
Sabdalin asks passerby about the commeration of the Alash uprising and massacre of 1918. Interviewees talk of importance of this event; how this demonstation is also against high prices; demonstration is outlawed officially; people's right to commemorate own historical events, learn about own culture, etc.; misinformation spread about unofficial movements; bad intentions of the Party.
- 4/24/1991 [+] Interviews conducted on street several people who attended Alash massacre demonstration; relayed by phone. With Sabdalin, Qiyal.
Free speech praised; former Alash Party praised, disatisfaction with present Communist Party; poem about fate of Alash Party; support for day of remembrance; criticism of present political policies and officials' indifference to people; ineffective language policy; inflation; poem and song about remembrance of the deceased.
- 4/25/1991 [+] Report on delegation; relayed by phone from Ankara. With Oraltay, Qasen.
Detailed report on arrival of 140 person delegation from Kazakhstan to Ankara, Turkey led by Mirzatay Joldabeskov for "Kazakhstan Culture Week". Reports on arrival, itinerary, official welcome, Joldabeskov's address; much talk of Turkic brotherhood and hopes for closer relations with Turkey.
- 4/26/1991 [+] News report by phone from Almati. With Sabdalin, Qiyal.
Two demonstrators arrested at the Alash rememberance day demonstration; report on three young mullahs from Turkey touring Kazakhstan; thoughts on continued observance of performing work for free on Lenin's upcoming 121st birthday: forced participation by the party, coverage in press and praise of Lenin, Party's profits; protest of this; arrival of 96 Kazakhs from Mongolia for resettlement.
- 4/27/1991 [+] New report by telephone from Almati. With Sabdalin, Qiyal.
"Almati '91" sports meet of Turkic peoples; 15 cases of AIDS in Almati, lack of preventive measures; mosques opened in Ekibastuz; Kazakhfilm now independent of Moscow; Qayrat Irisqulbekov declared innocent of charges, Pedinstitut named after him; appeal sent to Nazarbaev to cut back on military; help from Germany to Qaraghanda joint ventures and medical and humanitarian aid; subway construction in Almati and hiring of Kazakh workers; song about Qayrat Irisqulbekov by national orchestra; new paper Aziya Dawisi.
- 4/30/1991 [+] News report by telephone from Almati. With Sabdalin, Qiyal.
Chimkent's population now 1 million; many pilgrims to southern Kazakhstan's shrines; communist place names changed in southern Kazakhstan; Almati-Paris flight opened; "Golden Man" on display in Paris; Ivan Manchikov, murderer of 4 Kazakh girls, executed.