- 1/11/1994 [+] Bishkek Azattyk Radio.
1. 13th session of Jogorku Kenesh deputies passed many laws. At the 13th session of Jogorku Kenesh deputies passed many laws. Many deputies didn�t attend and chair of speaker Mihail Leginov read out the list of those absent. Among such were Tursunbek Chyngyshev, Felix Kulov and Ismamat Osmonov.
2. Conference in Nukus. A delegation with Askar Akev a head of it took part in the conference in Nukus, Uzbekistan dedicated to problems of Aral Lake. Leaders of Central Asian countries and of Russia gathered there to discuss ways of preventing consequences in Aral basin. They decided that an executive committee is needed. They also developed a 5-year program to solve ecological problems.
3. Laws on Ministry of Internal Affairs and Committee on National Security were passed. These documents are of great importance for Kyrgyzstan to become a lawful democratic state. They noted the necessity to preserve historical archives.
4. Ore-gold processing joint ventures. "4) US Morrison Knudsen Company that has ore-gold processing joint ventures with Kyrgyz companies has already spent US $ 3 million for technical and economic purposes. In case Kyrgyzstan breaks the terms of the agreement between them and doesn�t give a tender, Morrison Knudsen is going to apply to International Trade Committee in Stockholm. That can cost Kyrgyzstan US$100 million. "
5. War in Kabul hasn�t stopped yet. It has already taken away lives of 300 thousand people. Taking advantage of 1.5-day suspense of military actions 13,5 thousand people left the country for Pakistan. About 500 people left for Jalalabad.
6. 2nd high level meeting of Turkik countries to be held in Baku. The 2nd high level meeting of Turkik countries is going to be held in Baku. State and governmental officials from Turkey, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan are going to participate in it. The first meeting was held in Ankara with participation of the presidents of the above mentioned countries.
- 1/12/1994 [+] Alatoo News.
1. Central Asian conference held in Nukus. "1) Central Asian countries had a conference in Nukus, Uzbekistan, dedicated to problems of Aral Sea. Askar Akaev of Kyrgyzstan, Nursultan Nazarbaev of Kazakstan, leader of parliament of Tadjikistan Imanaly Rahmonov, Niyazov of Turkmenistan, Karimov of Uzbekistan, and a Russian ambassador took part. At the conference, the participants discussed social economical development of the countries and signed an agreement to resolve problems connected with Aral Sea. According to it, 50 million US $ will be needed for the accomplishment of the agreement. They also composed a 5-year program of concrete steps to solve Aral ecological problems. "
2. Deputies talked over a law on elections again. At the session of Jogorku Kenesh the deputies talked over a law on elections again. They had missed the 6th issue of the 30th Article and it was suggested to exclude issue #6 at all. The speaker read the terms of the issue again. It said that those holding positions in state, government, judicial and other institutions are to suspend their activity as such after being officially registered as candidates to deputy. Although the law was passed by 220 voices for it, there was no Parliament regulation to bring that law to life. Speaker Sherimkulov told about the necessity to pass this law but the question was that new dates of the election weren�t clear yet. If 2 out of 3 say yes, the Parliament will dismiss itself, otherwise there is a chance that they will apply to constitutional court and it might take a long time.
3. 13th session of Jogorku Kenesh there were discussed many regulations and laws. At the 13th session of Jogorku Kenesh there were discussed many regulations and laws, among which, a regulation on concept of self-defense of the army. The point of this regulation concerns the character of self-defense. Along with that, they discussed the regulation on dividing state property from the state and privatization concepts in 1994-95, state statistics law and made changes to many other old laws.
4. Asaba party is working on family and marriage related laws. According to the leader of Asaba political party, it is working on family and marriage related laws. According to Asaba, problem of single mothers is a national tragedy.
5. Regulation on army service. Apas Jumagulov signed a regulation on army service. According to it, besides army serving is also possible in all spheres and fields of agriculture.
- 2/8/1994 [+] Azattyk Radio
1. Vice-president of USA sent a telegram congratulating Askar Akaev. Albert Gore, vice-president of USA sent a telegram congratulating Askar Akaev on his success during the referendum and expressed his hope that the president will take steps towards reforms.
2. Akaev met with the ambassador of GB in Kyrgyzstan. Mr. Noel Joez who expressed his satisfaction with the results of referendum. In their conversation, they expressed hope for bilateral cooperation. A. Akaev reminded the ambassador that GB and USSR fought together against fascism. Now that criminal situation is so bad A.Akaev turned to GB for help. In his turn, A.Akaev promised to show GB its support as well. The British Ambassador also met with Apas Jumagulov who showed his interest in establishing long-term agricultural and economic relationship with GB.
3. Researches in linguistics find that national identity is closely connected to national language. According to researches in linguistics, national identity is closely connected to national language. Turkic people have been able to preserve their national languages as well as to expand them in the expense of other languages. Turkey can be a good example of that. They organized a campaign working on translating foreign words that come to their language through mass media and TV programs from the West.
4. Newspaper Summary: Journalist wonders if Akaev will stick to the promises. Journalist B. Botobekov writes in his article that people gave Akaev their trust at the referendum and wonders if Akaev will stick to the promises he�d given. Journalist Bakyt Orunbek Uluu tells in his article about Apas Jumagulov�s political career that no matter what Kyrgyz communist see him as president in future. Ex minister of justice of Kyrgyzstan Usup Mukanbekov in his interview with a journalist gives his opinion on why passed laws don�t get realized and ways to fight corruption which is the biggest problem of the day.
- 2/9/1994 [+] AlaToo News
1. Askar Akaev turned to people with a speech on referendum. Askar Akaev turned to people with a speech on referendum. That people who gave their vote for the president expect him to improve things in the country is quite clear. According to governmental press service, Akaev has prepared a regulation on fighting corruption and criminality, which is going to be signed soon. Also, there�s going to be a meeting of the recently established a committee on national security, which is to work on preventing criminality and corruption in government, economy, etc.
2. Vice Prime Minister of Kyrgyzstan Esengul Omuraliev went to Moscow. Vice Prime Minister of Kyrgyzstan Esengul Omuraliev went to Moscow with an official visit. According to governmental press service, the aim of this visit is to discuss economic and trade relationship between the two countries in 1994. Besides, Russia decided to give Kyrgyzstan a credit worth of 30 milliard Russian rubles.
3. Muslim people in Kyrgyzstan are having orozo. Muslim people in Kyrgyzstan are having orozo, which is a 30-day Muslim fast.
4. Suggestions on laws for discussion at Jogorku Kenesh. Kyrgyz Democratic United Party brings its suggestions on laws for discussion at Jogorku Kenesh. One of the suggestions was that boundary of regions and counties be considered when determining the number of voters, said the leader of the party Jypar Jekshe.
5. Criminal situation in Bishkek has worsened recently. According to the head of the ministry of internal affairs, criminal situation in Bishkek has worsened recently. He also noted that criminals from far and near countries were committing a big percentage of serious crimes.
6. International News: Haidaraliev is in Turkey. Azerbaijani president Haidaraliev is in Turkey with an official visit. On the agenda of that visit: extraction of oil, credit grant opportunities, and expansion of Azerbaijani army. Russia wishes to sign an agreement with Azerbaijan like it did with Georgia, whereas Azerbaijan wants to come to a long-term agreement on oil extraction with companies and consortiums of the West. His visit coincided with the time of those negotiations and making conclusions.
- 2/11/1994 [+] Azattyk Radio AlaToo Radio
1. Minister of Education received Chair of Islamic Association. Minister of Education of Kyrgyzstan, academician Askar Kakeev received doctor Habib Buhary, chair of the Islamic Association Vakyp, whose headquarter is located in Holland, and children�s pediatrician. He granted US$5 million to Bishkek schools for blind and dumb children.
2. Kyrgyz gold sold. More than 1600 kilograms of Kyrgyz gold that had been stored in Bank of Switzerland were sold. 150 million soms gained from that sale are to be given for agricultural purposes.
3. Meeting of state commission on foreign investments and economic assistance. State commission on foreign investments and economic assistance had its meeting. Apas Jumagulov chaired the meeting where they discussed rehabilitation credits of the World Bank, and realization of the credit given by Turkey.
4. Agreement with English Burt Industries. English Burt Industries company signed an agreement on continuing its activity in Kyrgyzstan on expanding cigarette industry. After finishing its project in Bishkek they are planning on investing in the Kyzyl Kia fermenting factory to bring it to world standards. According to the agreement, by 1996 7 milliard cigarettes are going to be produced annually, besides it�s expected that Kyzyl Kia factory will be producing cigarettes for export. This enterprise will cost US$55 million, US$40 million of which Burt Industries is ready to invest.
5. Pardue and Mathew opens office in Bishkek. One more foreign company opened its office in Bishkek: Pardue and Mathew. Its aim is to protect judicial rights of the American citizens in Kyrgyzstan.
6. Address on eve of orozo. Address to Muslim people of Kyrgyzstan on the eve of orozo.
- 2/12/1994 [+] Azattyk Radio AlaToo News
1. Head of the European Security and Cooperation Association willvisit Kyrgyzstan December23-24. Vilgelm Hoinf, the head of the European Security and Cooperation Association, will visit Kyrgyzstan on the 23-24th of this month. Since the 23rd in Bishkek there will be a seminar on small and middle business within the framework of the international forum. Hoinf will participate and have a meeting with President Akaev and other officials.
2. Document on strengthening efforts on promoting reforms. At this moment a document on strengthening efforts on promoting reforms is being prepared by the president in the White House.
3. Delegate returns from seminar on press freedom in Moscow. The head of the Human Rights Protection Movement, Tursunbek Akun came back from the international seminar in Moscow. That seminar was dedicated to the role of freedom of print.
4.Militia solved no criminal case last year. According to official press service, militia solved no criminal case last year. In 1993 in our country murder cases increased compared to previous year.
5. Meeting of the Erkin Democratic Party. Political party of the Erkin Democratic Party had its meeting where important issues like social-economic condition in the country and future reforms were discussed.
6. Social Democratic Party are working on the problems of youth. Leaders of the Kyrgyzstan Social Democratic Party are working on the problems of youth. Vice-premier Osmonakul Ibraimov noted an importance of having a youth union. The journalist questions the possibility that something like Komsomol might be organized again.
- 2/14/1994 [+] AlaToo News
1. Delegation returns from Russia. A delegation headed by Apas Jumagulov came back from Russia where he met with the officials and signed a range of agreements on trade-economic cooperation and state credit. It was agreed that production worth US$65.1 million will be exchanged between the two countries within the economic trade agreement. Kyrgyzstan will export wool, agricultural products, whereas Russia will export rice, agricultural equipment and soil fertilizers.
2. Minister to Buenos Aires conference on world telecom improvements. Minister of Connections of Kyrgyzstan has been invited to Buenos Aires to an international conference on improving world telecommunications.
3. Agreement on Denmark�s cooperation to Kyrgyzstan. According to press service of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Askar Aitmatov, chair of the minister of foreign affairs, and Susanna Hristiansen, temporary ambassador of Denmark signed an agreement on Denmark�s cooperation to Kyrgyzstan. It implies that Denmark will give a credit worth of 60 million crones for development in the sphere of agriculture, education and health.
4. Head of Human Rights Protection Movement returns from a seminar in Moscow. Tursunbek Akun, the head of the Human Rights Protection Movement, has just returned from a seminar in Moscow. According to him Oleg Panfilov, Russia�s famous Human Rights protector, spoke on necessity of freedom of print and noted the success of Kyrgyz journalists who refused to put up with censorship last year and organized political associations. However, says Tursunbek Akun, there�s clearly a political reason in why Res Publica newspaper is not publishing just before the referendum.
5. Speech by president of the Islamic Center. Speech by the president of the Islamic Center, Sadykchan Moldo dedicated to orozo and its importance for health.
- 2/15/1994 [+] Azattyk Radio Ala-Too News
1. Government meeting held to discuss land and agricultural reform. At the governmental meeting which was headed by prime minister Apas Jumagulov one issue was discussed: bringing into force President�s regulation on land and agricultural reform.
2. Kyrgyzstan and Great Britain continue cooperation. Kyrgyzstan and Great Britain are continuing cooperation. According to the press service of the ministry of foreign affairs, its 6 employees went to GB to get a three-month professional training in diplomacy and international affairs. Also GB has given Kyrgyzstan a special grant for development in journalism, management, law, accounting, economy and city planning.
- 2/22/1994 [+] Azattyk Radio AlaToo News
1. Azakev's speech to people in Southern Kyrgyzstan who suffered from landslide. President Askar Akaev turned with a speech to people in the Southern Kyrgyzstan who suffered from landslide. He expressed his condolences and promised to provide financial help for those who suffered from landslide. He expressed his condolensces and promised to provide financial help for those many that suffered and lost their relatives due to that natural disaster. He necessitated every region and counties to develop plans of protection from landslides and floods.
2. Newspaper Summary. Problems of increasing migration in Kyrgyzstan are addressed. The author of the article sees negative influence of migration on political, economical and social factors in the country. In another article the author questions the necessity for a small country like Kyrgyzstan to have 6 vice Prime ministers and invites people to think of how much funds are needed to employ that many of them.
- 4/19/1994 [+] Bishkek News
1. Askar Akaev met with representatives of Korean, Uigur and Dungan Diaspora in the White House. "Minister of International Affairs, Abdybek Zipalinov, and the 1st zamestitel of the Ministry of Agriculture Omurbek Sanarbekovwere present at the meeting. According to 1993 census, there are more than 66 thousand Uigurs, about 18 thousand Koreans and 37 thousand Dungans living in Kyrgyzstan. According to social department of the President�s Apparatus, in 1993 186 Uigurs moved to Kyrgyzstan and 420 left it; 338 Koreans came and 715 left, and 225 left and 242 moved to Kyrgyztan. National minorities living in Kyrgyzstan have been able to preserve their national language, history and identity and will receive the same attitude in the future. At the meeting, they discussed issues on land division and agricultural reforms. President noted the necessity of exploiting free land for agricultural purposes.
2. Observation Committee of Jogorku Kenesh is to deal with an unclear matter. Last year they received a fax from Mrs Judith London saying that Greenberg Resources Inc. company became a bankrupt and had been involved in numerous court trials and therefore was illegible for Altyn Unduru competition run by Kyrgyzaltyn state concern. However, later they received another letter from Colorado, US from Judith London saying that she had never sent letters to Kyrgyzstan before and had never gathered any kind of information about Greenberg Resources Inc.
3. Askar Akaev met with farmers of Kyrgyzstan. Agriculture can�t be restored without help from the government. Therefore, 10 million US $ received from the USA and 3.5 million US $ received from Germany are going to be given for that purpose. Those collective farms that got 550 million soms last year won�t receive any more this year, said the President. According to him, war in Tajikistan showed him the urgency to reform agriculture, but the funds should be spent carefully and efficiently.
4. Deputies of Jogorku Kenesh met with intelligencia, workers, and veterans of Kyrgyzstan. They discussed ways out of crisis. They blamed Russian, Ukrainian and Belorussian chauvinists for consequences after the disintegration of the USSR meaning that national separatists are making things even worse. According to Usubaliev, one of the ways Kyrgyzstan can deal with its US $300 million external debt is by improving hydro energy of the country. Some deputies expressed an opinion that co work with Kumtor and other foreign companies has been a big mistake. Deputies expressed their concern with corruption among some high officials and gold being exported without any agreements.
5. Press conference with Askar Aitmatov, chair of the minister of Foreign Affairs, and Murat Imanaliev, ambassador in Chi. Press conference was dedicated to the up coming visit of the Chinese State Leader Li Pen Din. Imanaliev let people know that an agreement to continue relationship with China is going to be signed upon Li Pen Din�s arrival. Aitmatov mentioned that external issues issues of these two countries are decided on principle of mutual interest. In this respect, since 1992 there has been a joint delegation of Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Russia and Tajikistan working with the PRC.
6. Bishkek News: A request to arrest mayor Lukikski and deport Russian speaking officers under his command. Several officers of the Osh garrison turned to Askar Akaev with a request to arrest mayor Lukikski and deport Russian speaking officers under his command. According to those officers, Lukikski and others were threatening pod-colonel Kubatbek Kojonaliev in their letters to him. To this, Kojonaliev said that under the law all people are equal regardless of their religion, race and nationality and will be responsible accordingly.
- 5/10/1994 [+] Alatoo Bishkek News.
1. Azerbaijan joined the Bishkek Protocol. On May 5 in Bishkek Armenian, Russian, Kyrgyz Parliament speakers, ambassador of Mountain Karabah signed a protocol on suspending war. Military activities stopped in Mountain Karabah the night of May 9. Azerbaijani Parliament speaker, Rasul Guliev expressed wish of his country to join the protocol and stop military actions from their country on telephone conversation with Medetkan Sherimkulov.
2. Askar Akaev met French prime- minister Mr. Marel. On May 10, Askar Akaev met French prime- minister Mr. Marel. They discussed issues related to Akaev�s up coming visit to France in June where he was invited by the president. During this visit in Paris he will take part in the meeting of international financial companies. Mr. Marel also met with Apas Jumagulov to discuss the possibilities of economic, tourist, energetic, agricultural relationship between the two countries. Marrel also talked over international efforts to fight drug business and expressed his interest in Kyrgyz-Chinese relationship and Uigurs.
3. Vice Prime Minister of Kyrgyzstan Esenkul Onuraliev went to Germany. Vice Prime Minister of Kyrgyzstan Esenkul Onuraliev went to Germany on May 10. He will take part in the meeting of the committee on international economic reforms and cooperation.
4. Apas Jumagulov met the Israeli delegation headed by their ambassador in Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan. The ambassador expressed special interest in agricultural connections between the two countries and mentioned wish to help start more farms in addition to the previous two. They also discussed a special agreement on Israel�s assistance in fighting criminality in Central Asian countries and that Kyrgyzstan would take an active part in realization of that project.
- 5/13/1994 [+] Radio News
1. German economic commission meeting scheduled for summer. German economic commission is meeting in Germany this summer. It was agreed that Lufthansa Air Company is to open its office in Bishkek in 1994 and will allow Kyrgyz travelers to use Lufthansa shuttles to get to the airport in Almaty. Also, an agreement was achieved that this office would help Kyrgyz Aba Joldoru Company of Kyrgyzstan to re-establish its functioning.
2. Responsibility for building democracy in Kyrgyzstan lies on the young generation of 20 year-olds. "According to Chinara Jakypova, director for strategic planing, the responsibility for building democracy in Kyrgyzstan lies on the young generation of 20 year-olds. She says we should realize the necessity and importance to educate our young generation well, which also means publishing new books, and continue the reform of educational system. Establishing universities in collaboration with Russia, Turkey and America is a good way of improving education of those who will change this country for better. "
3. Rumors that Chingiz Aitmatov resigned from the position of Kyrgyz ambassador in Belgium and NATO. There have been rumors that Chingiz Aitmatov resigned from the position of Kyrgyz ambassador in Belgium and NATO. Damira Kazakova, the head of the department on West European countries, when asked if he had really turned down his appointment as ambassador in Belgium and France answered that they have received no official information about it.
4. Anti-government and anti-Jumagulov actions. According to the Emergency Situation Service of the President Apparatus, anti-government and anti-Jumagulov actions are a one-sided attitude to the matter, said the leader of Kyrgyzstan Democratic Party Jypar Jeksheev. According to him, this attitude of the president�s apparatus has started since Jumagulov�s meeting with the representatives of the Cameco Company and the achievement of main agreements with the representatives of the social parties. At the meeting, Jumagulov mentioned that for Kumtor to start functioning faster, the question would be brought for the discussion at the session of Jogorku Kenesh. To promote this, correspondent of Slovo Kstana, Alexandr Barshai, says that people of the Issyk-Kol region understand the need and importance of this enterprise. He also mentions that leaders of the parties have shown no disapproval towards functioning of Kumtor.
5. Events happening in the south of Kyrgyzstan are of defensive character. It is not difficult to understand, say the correspondents, that the events happening in the south of Kyrgyzstan are of defensive character, as well as that separatist mood is promoted by the position of some leaders of Kyrgyzstan which led to this social unrest. Askar Akaev himself is responsible for that. Bringing the country to economic crisis by reducing the national army mean that limited plans of some state leaders weren�t successful, says Damirbek Tekebaev, deputy of Jogorku Kenesh.
6. Journalists briefed about meeting of Jogorku Kenesh. On May 25th was the 2nd stage of the 14th session of Jogorku Kenesh. Zamira Ismanbetova, the head of the West European countries department and expert Azamat Kerimbaev answered questions concerning the relationship of Kyrgyzstan with Europe and Turkey.
- 5/18/1994 [+] Radio News
1. Kyrgyz Kabar news agency is now establishing ties with other news agencies of the world. Kyrgyz Kabar news agency is now establishing ties with other news agencies of the world. So far, it�s been working with Turkish Ana Dolu, English BBC, Russian ITARTASS. It has signed an agreement with Sinhua and is negotiating news exchange terms with Turkish Tundukipr, the US Washington Post, LA Times, British and German news agencies.
2. Official delegation from Hungary is in Bishkek. This delegation had a lot meeting in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs; central point of this discussion were issues concerning Kyrgyz children. In White House, humanitarian aid that came from Hungary was received.
3. Participation in seminar organized by the Ministry of Health. More than 400 doctors of Kyrgyzstan took part in the seminar organized by the Ministry of Health where they discussed problems of preserving young kids health and got acquainted with the latest achievements in this field.
4. Humanitarian Aid for the southern regions. A humanitarian aid worth of US $2 million was received from the US Morrison Knudsen Company. The money is meant for the southern regions that suffered from natural disasters that fall.